100% Beef and Chemicals?

If the US almost got away with ammonia-treated beef for McDonald's, how unsafe could ours be? It's 100% beef--yeah, sure, it came from the cow--it's just that it was treated with a chemical you would normally store out of children's reach. Not even the USDA was able to prevent it, only thanks to chef Jamie Oliver for divulging this secret.

I probably would not see you the same way

In 2012, Chef Jamie Oliver, in his campaign for real food (and against junk food) on his TV show, made a very bold demonstration: inedible beef parts are treated with ammonia and form a "pink slime" that is included in most pre-made burger patties. By 'inedible' it means that most butchers sell these parts to companies who make dog food. Read here for DailyMail UK's article on this, and NBC on McDonald's ending the use of this pink slime. Better yet, watch this video (please do not watch this if you're eating):



Now, in all unfair-ness to my country, I have little or no belief in our government agencies. If the USDA let that process pass--and would have gone unnoticed--what more here in the Philippines? McDonald's US eliminating use of this scrap does NOT mean all their counterparts have done so, too. It's no secret how much lower our standards here are in terms of food handling and preparation.

Not a saint when it comes to food, I do eat processed food from time to time. But just the thought of how deceiving that was, makes me just want to stick to spending just a little bit more time and money on my food.

I think I just got my cue to ditch these fast food burgers, cold turkey. Just thinking of how many McDonalds US burgers (and US burgers in general) I've eaten in the past makes me sick.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2012 I Work. Eat. Repeat. .