Ba Noi's

A few weeks ago while dining at Milky N' Sunny in Kapitolyo, Pasig, I saw a newly-opened Vietnamese restaurant called Ba Noi's. I have never tried it in Makati so I guess I have to thank the gods for bringing it closer to me.

I have long been frustrated with the Vietnamese fare in Manila. Pho, or Vietnamese version of mami, is often attempted but is almost often never replicated the way pho should be. Normally, I go to Pho Hoa, which is forgivable. I was excited to try Pho 24 when it opened a branch near Eastwood--only to be gravely disappointed. I later found out that Jollibee Food Corporation bought them, and I need not wonder why the tripes made my pho taste like Chowking congee. (Major disappointment. Pho 24 is a known chain in Vietnam.) My search continued.

Pho Bo (half of it, we had it split)
Ba Noi's, on the other hand is almost there when it comes to authenticity. I have yet to try Bawai's in Tagaytay. Here goes my photos for Ba Noi's (I am definitely going back.)

If you grew up with Pho Hoa, you must be used to selecting which type of meat (and high-cholesterol parts) to add to your pho. In Ba Noi's you have the option between a beef, chicken or a seafood pho. I think this is good, to make it simpler for those who are new to Vietnamese food. As usual, the bowls are big enough to share, especially if you are planning on not making pho your main dish.

My first exposure to pho is in Ho Chi Minh, on my first Christmas away from home. Despite that sad feeling, the experience and understanding of how lime, herbs and sauce blend well was amazing. In Manila though, the first give away would be the noodles itself, which are often thicker than how it is in Viet Nam. Throughout my flight attendant life, I have never failed to eat pho every single time I go to Ho Chi Minh, or Hanoi.

Bo Luc Lac (PHP 360)

I would normally order my staple pho plus spring rolls and Vietnamese coffee, but I went on and ordered Bo Luc Lac, or stir fried beef. Sprinkled with sesame seeds and with fried basil on the side. This could have passed like any stir fried beef you know, but I was amazed with the tenderness of the chunks, perfectly done.

And here goes coffee! The boyfriend ordered a Vietnamese coffee-mocha blended one while I went for an iced Vietnamese coffee.


The best thing about Ba Noi's is that there are instructions on how to enjoy Vietnamese food. Again, this is beginner friendly. Now I'm craving for some pho!

0 comments:

Copyright © 2012 I Work. Eat. Repeat. .