Starbucks Card: It's Prepaid

Rushing to finish my order at a Starbucks counter, I handed my credit card and the barista started his memorized-but-sounds-friendly-and-casual spiel for the Starbucks card. I said, "Wha?" He said something about, "well you already have... pesos... so why not..." I couldn't grasp it as I was also busy making a conversation with the one I have a meeting with. I nodded to the barista and said, "Yeah, okay." Now I have a Starbucks card and all I know is:


It's a stored value card. So I actually have to put money in there. I know that sales-wise, that approach is used so that people will always choose to go to Starbucks with that "Oh I still have credits on my Starbucks card." Quite frankly I think it's a hassle.

You get "stars" for beverages, Via products and beans. The more stars, the closer you get to getting a free beverage/Via product/beans. So, just the coffee. You get nothing from sandwiches. 


Well, as far as I know, that's it. The website where you're supposed to register your card has been on the "loading" mode since one hour ago so I can't feed myself with FAQs yet. The question is, would I use it? The stored-value part makes me go, "Why would I do that?" I mean, what's wrong with a usual loyalty card where you buy, give your card and you get points or whatever. 

The main reasons I got a CBTL Swirl Card in the first place: it gives you (1) rebates on every item purchased and (2) Internet access. It's five pesos per hundred, not bad. I totally forgot about it counting them, and one day I was able to buy three beverages and a pastry off my Swirl card points. 

1 comment:

  1. Despite the fact that I find myself going to Starbucks more often (it's downstairs from the office) I still won't be getting a Starbucks card. Loyal to my Swirl Card. Even if I've never used it to pay for anything (I think I have P500 in it) and I don't need the Internet access thanks to mobile data.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2012 I Work. Eat. Repeat. .